Sudan invites tenders for consultants for solar PV irrigation project

The government of Sudan has launched tender seeking consultants to assist in the implementation of an irrigation project in the states of North Kordofan and West Kordofan.

The project involves installation of 1,170 solar irrigation pumps in the country. Successful consultants will provide engineering and supervision services, design of solar water pumping systems, according to the requirements of each farm.

The firms will also provide assistance to the irrigation project implementation unit, supervision and contract administration of works related to the installation and commissioning of the solar pumps. The firms will also support the project implementation unit through technical and financial supervision to ensure that all works are carried out according to the contract specifications. The consultants will also participate in the construction activities and in the implementation of the project’s environmental and social management plan.

Read:Optimising efficiency of solar-powered pumping systems

Erratic rainfall

The solar pumps will be installed in North Kordofan and West Kordofan states where erratic rainfall is mostly experienced due to the arid climate and climate change, with a negative impact on agricultural yields, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).

The new equipment will be used to pump groundwater. In addition to food security, the project aims to reduce farmers’ dependence on fossil fuels, which are harmful to human health and the environment. Interested companies have until September 14th, 2021 to apply.

The irrigation project is 75% financed by a $21.7 million loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB). The remaining 25% will be paid in installments over three years. The pan-African institution indicates that the installation of the solar pumps will be completed by December 31st, 2025.

Related posts

Kirloskar Brothers showcases new generation energy-efficient pumps

Brenna Shumbamhini

Measuring pumping costs for electric irrigation pumps

Brenna Shumbamhini

Davis & Shirtliff installs solar-powered water pumps in rural Kenya

Brenna Shumbamhini

Leave a Comment